A mate and carer of Steve Bronski, the co-founder of 1980s pop trio Bronski Beat, has exposed that he died in a fire at his flat in central London very last 7 days.
News of Bronski’s death emerged on Thursday when fellow band member Jimmy Somerville introduced on Twitter that he was “sad to listen to Steve has died”, describing him as “talented and a quite melodic man”.
The bring about of his death has not been officially confirmed and Somerville’s agent reported he did not have any additional information about it. But Josephine Samuel, who had cared for Bronski right after a stroke, claimed he lived in a flat in Berwick Road that was the scene of a lethal hearth on Tuesday.
Samuel explained to the Guardian that she had frequented Bronski at the tackle the working day ahead of the hearth and has due to the fact returned to lay tributes to him. She said: “Because he had suffered a stroke, it was tricky for him to get up. He died from smoke inhalation.”
Playing cards, bouquets and images of Bronski and other members of the band have been laid at the entrance to the flat. They incorporate a card remaining by Samuel and a person card resolved to her that explained: “Dear Josephine, My sincere condolences on your reduction. Steve started out the conquer and it will by no means stop. Bronski Beat for at any time. With really most effective needs and deepest sympathy, a Tiny City Boy. xx”
Samuel, a 51-calendar year-outdated gospel singer, claimed: “I recall him as gentle, tranquil and kind, and a proficient musician. I was stated in some of the songs he wrote but by no means produced.
“I cared for him all through his complicated time – about three several years in the past he experienced a stroke. I counselled him by means of depression. He dealt with me like a sister and I treated him as an more mature brother. We had been really close.”
Samuel, who had acknowledged Bronski for 16 yrs, added: “I came to check out him the day just before he died. His death is like a nightmare to me, simply because I have been by his side for decades. We are ready to register the demise before his physique is taken to Scotland for burial.”
On Tuesday a man was rescued from a to start with floor flat at the scene by firefighters sporting respiratory apparatus. He died afterwards in hospital, according to a spokesperson for London fireplace brigade, but she would not affirm his identity. A spokesperson for the Metropolitan law enforcement said that as the hearth was considered “non-suspicious”, the drive could not verify who died in the blaze.
An business employee who functions in a neighbouring making claimed he named the fireplace brigade when he saw smoke coming from the flat. He explained: “Fire engines and ambulances came incredibly swiftly and we ended up moved to the finish of the street.”