The Knights and Daughters of Vartan are holding its yearly writing and visible arts contest in conjunction with the 108th anniversary of the Armenian Genocide and its subsequent commemoration in Periods Sq., New York, on Sunday, April 23, 2023. High college students are invited to participate.
Winners will be introduced in the course of the Situations Sq. commemoration.
The essay will have to react to the pursuing essay prompt and include things like the title of the survivor whose testimony is cited.
Survivor testimonies deliver to lifestyle the tragic situation Armenian Genocide survivors endured to escape the very first genocide of the 20th century, that took area from 1915-1923 and noticed the murders of 1.5 million Armenians. While the Turkish government continues to deny the Armenian Genocide ever transpired, scores of witness testimonies establish or else. The USC Shoah Foundation’s Visible Background Archive selection has above 600 interviews relating to the Armenian Genocide. Please find one testimony and describe through creating or an artwork sort of your preference how an Armenian Genocide survivor’s practical experience can provide as an inspiration to make meaningful adjust in today’s society.
“The contest’s concept will allow learners to study more about survivor testimonies and to locate further indicating and inspiration behind their terms and resilience,” explained Situations Sq. commemoration co-chairs Haig Gulian and Christopher Artun.
All submissions must be emailed to [email protected] by 11:59 pm on Monday, April 10, 2023. Initially by means of 3rd area prizes are $300, $200 and $100, respectively.
- Responses ought to be in between 750-1,000 text typed in Situations New Roman 12-issue font and double-spaced.
- The applicant’s initially and previous name and contact facts need to look at the leading of every site.
- Recognized file formats include.doc, .docx, .pdf
- The essay will be judged on its originality, clarity, historic precision and understanding of the essay contest concept.
Visible arts necessities:
- Every entry submitted should have an accompanying assertion (up to 250 phrases) from the artist describing the piece.
- Submissions can consist of many creative mediums, which includes watercolor, charcoal, pencil, pastel, chalk, oils, or acrylics, as well as images or laptop-generated illustrations or photos.
- Submissions can involve images of the artwork.
- All submissions need to be the sole development of the student artist.