January 18, 2022
Enjoy fun workshops at SIU’s Craft Shop this spring
CARBONDALE, Ill. — The Craft Shop in Southern Illinois University Carbondale’s Student Center is offering a wide variety of arts and craft workshops this spring.
All of the activities are open to the public, but registration is limited to 5-10 people per class and sign-up closes for each class one week before the session begins.
SIU is committed to protecting the community, so all those participating in the workshops must follow campus and state pandemic safety protocols and wear masks. In addition, the Craft Shop reserves the right to cancel or reschedule workshops if necessary.
Variety of offerings
There will be a diverse assortment of activities and workshops offered throughout the semester, from sewing to painting, from pottery to tie-dye, and much more. There are also opportunities to learn metalsmithing, create a comic book, make stained glass, or build a birdhouse.
Costs vary and the prices are reduced for SIU students.
Some workshops will offer multiple sessions, and many are open to all ages.
The workshop schedule includes:
- Wood Shop Safety Course – Session 1 (Jan. 22); Session 2 (Jan. 26); Session 3 (Feb. 25).
- Techniques in Tie Dye – Tuesday, Jan. 25.
- Intro to Sewing: Tote Bag – Jan. 27.
- Painting: Mythical Creatures – Jan. 29.
- Intro to Woodworking – Jan. 29, Feb. 5, Feb. 12.
- Wheel-Thrown Pottery – Session 1 (Feb. 1, 8, 15, 22); Session 2 (Feb. 9, 16, 23, March 2); Session 3 (March 24, 31, April 7, 14); Session 4 (April 6, 13, 20, 27).
- Slab-Built Coffee Mugs – Session 1 (Feb. 5), Session 2 (March 26).
- Lunch-Hour Watercolor: Valentines – Feb. 10.
- Printmaking with Linoleum Blocks – Feb. 12.
- Metalsmithing: Cuff Bracelet – Feb. 19.
- Drawing: Comic Books – Feb. 22, March 1.
- Glass Bead Making – March 1.
- Marbling on Silk – March 15.
- Intro to Stained Glass – March 15, 17, 22, 24.
- Digital Drawing on a tablet – March 19.
- Silver Rings – March 26.
- Intro to Charcoal Drawing – March 22, 29.
- Tie-Dye Night – March 31.
- Hand-Built Clay: Cups, Bowls and Plates – April 5, 12, 19, 26.
- Fused Glass Sun-Catchers – April 9.
- Build Your Own Birdhouse – April 9.
- Intro to Metalsmithing – April 16, 23.
- Polymer Clay Jewelry – April 19.
- Ceramic Planters – April 22, 29.
The complete workshop schedule, along with details, pricing and online registration, can be found on the Craft Shop website.
Located in the lower level of the Student Center, the Craft Shop is an ideal location for birthday parties, group celebrations and other gatherings as it offers participants a chance to enjoy various arts and crafts activities. Visit the website, or stop by the Craft Shop to learn more.
Groups of 4 to 6 people can also schedule wheel-throwing pottery lessons or private lessons for various other craft activities. Email [email protected] to check on options and availability.
For more information, visit the craft shop online, call 618-453-3636 or email [email protected].