February 12, 2022 – The California Armenian Legislative Caucus is holding two scholarship contests for the 2022 remembrance of the Armenian Genocide. California large school college students from 9th quality as a result of 12th quality are invited to participate in an essay contest and/or a visual arts contest to maximize larger recognition of the Armenian Genocide on its anniversary.
All winners will be contacted straight and introduced to mainstream and Armenian media by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus on April 15, 2022. All winners will be awarded scholarships and will be acknowledged at the California Armenian Legislative Caucus’ once-a-year Armenian Advocacy Day and receive distinctive recognition from the associates of the Armenian Caucus. Authentic artwork will be requested from visible arts candidates if they are picked as a finalist for attainable exhibit in the California State Capitol.
Requirements for just about every contest are specific under. Learners may possibly enter the two contests, but submissions have to be entered independently.
Essay Scholarship Awards:
Very first Put: $1,000
Second Location: $750
Third Put: $500
Visible Art Scholarship Awards:
1st Position: $1,000
Next Position: $750
Third Place: $500
The deadline for all essay and visual arts submissions is April 8, 2022. For queries or much more details, make sure you get in touch with Ryan Ahari by means of electronic mail at: [email protected].
This year’s crafting prompt calls on learners to presume that:
- They have been employed to work for a however-to-be-constructed Armenian American Nationwide Museum, with the museum to be positioned in Glendale, California.
- They have obtained term from the museum director that just one wing of the museum will be entitled Noteworthy Armenian Us citizens.
- They are to share with the director, in the type of an inside memo, a person person’s title that should be featured in this wing of the museum and the reason(s) that this title ought to so be featured.
The students’ internal memo should really be published using the template under and accompanying instructions:
Proposed Museum Show
Armenian American Nationwide Museum
From: [Your Full Name]
[School Name] / [Grade]
Re: A Notable Armenian American
Advice for Proposed Museum Exhibit
Day: [Insert Date]
Name OF Human being Currently being Recommended
(Insert in this article the identify of the particular person you are recommending. Yes, it can be a relative or anyone you know. It can also be somebody you have only a short while ago learned about.)
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH (100 words and phrases max)
(Insert in this article a temporary description of the existence of the particular person you are recommending.)
Concentrated SKETCH (500 words max)
(Insert in this article what you would want to have plainly presented in the show about the human being you are recommending. This is your chance to go into detail about this individual, answering the question: What will make this Armenian American so noteworthy?)
Private Relationship (100 text max)
(Insert in this article what induced you to want to advise this person? Are you relevant to this man or woman? Have they attained one thing that you much too would like to attain? Does this particular person have a personalized story that you in some way connect to? Share a thing about you that assists the museum show customer superior fully grasp why you advisable this particular person to be featured in the exhibit.)
Consider Away (50 terms max)
(Insert right here both a thought or a concern that you want the public to have in head after encountering your proposed part of the show. In other phrases, what do you want the public indicating to itself when it learns about the person you are recommending?)
MISCELLANEOUS (50 terms max)
(Insert below everything else you could like to insert. This can include things like any shots, drawings, charts, e-book excerpts, and so on., but no links to any movie and/or audio clips or any webpages.)
All submissions have to be gained by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus electronically on or before April 8, 2022 by using this submission sort. Any submissions sent soon after the deadline will not be accepted.
At the best of your inner memo, please consist of your identify, age, handle, superior university, and quality alongside with your teacher’s name, electronic mail deal with, and topic spot.
Visible Art Standards:
This year’s concept is “Human to Human Interaction.” All applicants will have to acquire their submission in preserving with this concept.
- Private assertion (300-500 words and phrases) outlining the artwork and how it connects to the theme of human-to-human conversation. In the top still left corner, applicant ought to contain: title, age, primary address, high faculty, grade, teacher’s title and topic (if applicable), phone variety, and email address (this info will not count as aspect of the total phrase count).
- Only two-dimensional, visual art submissions will be accepted. Submission varieties are limited to drawings, paintings, pictures, digital illustrations, and graphic style.
- Submissions might not exceed an 11×17 frame and will have to weigh significantly less than 25 pounds.
- Submissions may well not include any nudity, excessive and/or graphic violence, racial slurs, derogatory and/or offensive language, profanity, and might not make use of or replicate existing artwork. All submissions will have to be original work created by the applicant.
- E mail issue, as perfectly as titles of the attached document, must be formatted as follows: “CALC – University student Title – Title of Piece” (e.g. CALC – William Saroyan – The Time of Your Lifetime).
- Submissions will have to involve the personal assertion and satisfy the requirements shown.
- Submissions need to involve a high-definition photograph of the artwork, be guaranteed to consider a shut up photograph with more than enough lights for the reviewers to see the depth of the operate. It is satisfactory to submit up to five photos. Be aware of the lights of the piece and supply distinct angles to showcase the depth of the artwork.
- Submissions have to involve just one current substantial-definition photograph of the applicant, appropriate for publication (e.g. cap and gown photographs, expert headshots, or high-quality photos/close-ups of the applicant).
All submissions will have to be acquired by the California Armenian Legislative Caucus electronically on or just before April 8, 2022 by employing this submission type. Any submissions sent after the deadline will not be approved.
At the leading of your personal assertion, you should contain your identify, age, handle, significant school, and quality together with your teacher’s title, email address, and subject matter location.
For Historical Context for Both Contests:
New York Occasions –“Allies Punish Turks Who Murder” May well 24, 1915
New York Times – “Armenians Dying In Prison Camps” August 21, 1916
Resource: Senator Anthony J. Portantino